Salty's Upside-Down Pineapple Cake Recipe
Simple to make, delicious to eat!
Salty’s at Redondo Beach shares with us the recipe for one of their delectable desserts, great for the upcoming spring and summer months!
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 (20-ounce) can sliced pineapple
- 10 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a 10-inch heavy skillet with a heat-resistant handle, melt 1/2 cup butter over very low heat. Remove from heat and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over pan. Arrange pineapple slices to cover bottom of skillet. Place cherries inside pineapple rings.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Separate the eggs into two bowls.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites just until soft peaks form. Add granulated sugar gradually, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed until very thick and yellow. With rubber spatula gently fold egg yolks and flour mixture into whites until blended. Fold in 1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine and almond extract. Spread batter evenly over the pineapples in the skillet.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed with a fingertip. Loosen the edges of the cake with a table knife. Cool the cake for 5 minutes before inverting onto serving plate.
You may also be interested in...
Maple Apple Cobbler Recipe with Buttermilk & Rolled Oats
Apple crisp, apple cobbler, apple Betty: these are all basically the same concept—unified by spiced apples and a buttery baked…
Copperleaf’s Kodiak Island Halibut Recipe
Experience this tremendous recipe for mouthwatering Kodiak Island Halibut served with Yakima Valley Asparagus, Spring Onions and Lemon Thyme from…
Recipe of the Month: Des Moines Waterfront Farmers Market Pasta
At the Des Moines Waterfront Farmers Market, you'll find all sorts of fresh and organic ingredients. Our latest recipe of…
Duke’s Award-Winning “Champion” Clam Chowder Recipe
Duke's is best known for their chowder! They are the only three-time Award Winner of the Chowder Cook-off, and here…