Duke's Award-Winning "Champion" Clam Chowder Recipe
Duke's is best known for their chowder! They are the only three-time Award Winner of the Chowder Cook-off, and here is the recipe!
Duke's also has a vast menu featuring scallops, shrimp, seafood chop-chop salad, lobster chowder, clam chowder, mahi tacos, and crisp coconut prawns. The atmosphere is nautical in nature and the restaurant also features a palm-fringed patio and outdoor fireplace for seasonal patio dining.
Join Duke's at the Westfield Southcenter Mall for a great atmosphere, amazing chowders, and all the excitement. Click here for more recipes of the month.
- Blanch potatoes in boiling water until tender. Cool and set aside.
- Cook bacon in heavy-bottomed saucepan until crispy.
- Add butter, onions, celery, and garlic, and sauté until tender. Make roux by adding flour. Stir well to incorporate.
- Continue stirring and bring mixture to 175 degrees then cook for exactly 7 minutes. Do not brown roux.
- In a separate bowl, mix clam base with clam juice until dissolved.
- Add to the roux (adding it after the roux has cooked prevents roux balls from forming).
- Add the milk and cream, then the herbs. Heat until almost boiling (185 degrees), blending constantly with a wire whisk.
- Add blanched red potatoes and Clams. Simmer at 185 degrees for 2 to 3 minutes or if possible, several hours.
The chowder will taste dramatically better after a “cure” or when the herbs have bloomed and the flavors have fully emulsified.
- Serve at 165-175 degrees.
Chef “Wild” Bill tip: if serving this the next day, place chowder in a 2-inch deep pan and refrigerate. The pan needs to be exactly 2 inches deep or the mixture will not get below 41 degrees in the proper time for safe food handling.
Visit Dukes Listing here.
Get more delicious Duke's recipes here.
You may also be interested in...
Maple Apple Cobbler Recipe with Buttermilk & Rolled Oats
Apple crisp, apple cobbler, apple Betty: these are all basically the same concept—unified by spiced apples and a buttery baked…
Copperleaf’s Kodiak Island Halibut Recipe
Experience this tremendous recipe for mouthwatering Kodiak Island Halibut served with Yakima Valley Asparagus, Spring Onions and Lemon Thyme from…
RBG’s Blackened Chicken Caesar Recipe
Since it’s summer and blackening is best done outside, this recipe of the month from RBG Bar & Grill in…
Recipe: Salty’s Blackened Halibut with Caramelized Peaches and Organic Greens
Looking for a fun way to spice up your summer eating? Salty’s highly requested signature Blackening Spice is now available…