- 1/3 tightly packed cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 to 1/3 packed cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1 packed tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded aged sheep cheese or Italian or American Asiago
Making sauce: In large bowl, combine the garlic, onion, lemon juice, chile, salt and pepper to taste, and chicken. Set aside.
Cook pasta to directions. Add the zucchini to the pasta in the water 4 minutes before the pasta is done (check directions for timing). Once the pasta is al dente, scoop up ½ cup pasta water and set aside. Immediately drain the pasta and zucchini.
To finish the paste: Stir the reserved hot pasta water into the lemon juice mixture along with the basil, mint, oregano, olives, and oil. Add the drained pasta and zucchini and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste, then toss with the almonds and cheese. Serve hot.
Visit the Des Moines Waterfront Farmers Market at the Des Moines Marina every Saturday, June-October, 10:00am - 2:00pm