Delight your palate with Salty's extravagant butterscotch pudding. This dessert gets its unique flavor from Dewar’s Scotch and Muscavado sugar, which is unrefined brown sugar with a strong molasses flavor. Topped with Chantilly cream and shaved bittersweet chocolate, this dessert finishes off with a soft and crunchy ginger crumble cake baked in a madeleine cookie mold!
Dewar's Butterscotch Pudding with Chantilly Cream, Dark Chocolate and Ginger Madeleine
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Mascavado sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons Dewar's Scotch
- 6 tablespoons butter
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan combine whipping cream, sugars, starch and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine milk and egg yolks and whisk. Have vanilla, scotch and butter ready.
- Slowly bring the first mixture to a boil, whisking quickly and continuously. The mixture will get frothy but will lose the foam once it starts to thicken.
- Once it starts to bubble, continue to whisk for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and quickly whisk in the egg-milk mixture.
- Turn the heat back on and bring the mixture back to a boil, whisking quickly and continuously.
- Once it is bubbling, turn off heat and whisk in vanilla, scotch and butter. Blend very well with an immersion blender (it will change color and turn lighter).
- Strain into 6-ounce serving containers and chill in an ice bath uncovered until cold.
- Remove containers from ice bath and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
Ginger Madeleine Sponge Cake
1 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
3 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
- In the bowl of an electric mixer cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add ginger and continue to mix for 30 seconds on medium low.
- Add eggs one at a time and scrape in between.
- Sift dry ingredients in a bowl and mix sour cream and buttermilk in another bowl until well blended.
- Alternate wet and dry ingredients into butter-sugar mixture and give the batter one last scrape and then mix an additional 30 seconds.
6 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and work together with your fingers.
- Spray a silicone Madeleine mold and spoon in some batter, filling about half way.
- Sprinkle with a little crumble and batter to fill mold.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven 15 minutes testing with a toothpick.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool slightly. Serve when still warm.
- To serve use a dollop of whipping cream in middle of serving dish and sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
Recipe originally from saltys.com/recipes.