Simple to make, delicious to eat! Salty’s at Redondo Beach shares with us the recipe for one of their delectable desserts, great for the upcoming spring and summer months!
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 (20-ounce) can sliced pineapple
- 10 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a 10-inch heavy skillet with a heat-resistant handle, melt 1/2 cup butter over very low heat. Remove from heat and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over pan. Arrange pineapple slices to cover bottom of skillet. Place cherries inside pineapple rings.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Separate the eggs into two bowls.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites just until soft peaks form. Add granulated sugar gradually, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed until very thick and yellow. With rubber spatula gently fold egg yolks and flour mixture into whites until blended. Fold in 1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine and almond extract. Spread batter evenly over the pineapples in the skillet.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed with a fingertip. Loosen the edges of the cake with a table knife. Cool the cake for 5 minutes before inverting onto serving plate.