At the Des Moines Waterfront Farmers Market, you'll find all sorts of fresh and organic ingredients. Our latest recipe of the month is a delightful summer dish prepared with some of those fresh, local flavors from the Market.
Farmers Market Pasta Ingredients
For the sauce
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
- 1 fresh chile, seeded and minced (Aleppo is one)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked chicken cubed
For the Pasta
- 1 pound pasta (Fettuccine, tagliatelle, or linguine)
- 1½ lbs zucchini (5 med) cut into ¼” x 2” sticks
- 1/3 tightly packed cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 to 1/3 packed cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1 packed tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded aged sheep cheese or Italian or American Asiago
Making sauce: In large bowl, combine the garlic, onion, lemon juice, chile, salt and pepper to taste, and chicken. Set aside.
Cook pasta to directions. Add the zucchini to the pasta in the water 4 minutes before the pasta is done (check directions for timing). Once the pasta is al dente, scoop up ½ cup pasta water and set aside. Immediately drain the pasta and zucchini.
To finish the paste: Stir the reserved hot pasta water into the lemon juice mixture along with the basil, mint, oregano, olives, and oil. Add the drained pasta and zucchini and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste, then toss with the almonds and cheese. Serve hot.
Visit the Des Moines Waterfront Farmers Market at the Des Moines Marina every Saturday, June-October, 10:00am - 2:00pm