Makes 4 to 6 servings
Total time: 30 minutes
Simple to make and packed with omega-3s, this soup can be an easy weeknight supper or a sophisticated starter at a dinner party. Serve it with oyster crackers for the kids.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, rinsed and sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups milk (any fat content)
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, flaked
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over low heat. Add the leeks and garlic and sauté them for 2 minutes.
- Add the potato, celery, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth and simmer until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and milk, then the salmon, and bring the mixture back to a simmer for a few minutes (but don't let it boil, or the milk will separate).
- As it simmers, stir in the cream.
- Remove from heat, garnish with the chives, and serve.