Officials said more than 21,000 satellite parking spaces have been secured in the local area, and will be provided free of charge. A complimentary shuttle service will also be provided directly to the course.
The USGA released the following strategies for event parking and routes:
- The spectator routing system will use more than 150 trail signs deployed throughout the area and 290 shuttle buses to help ensure trouble-free travel to and from the championship.
- For the week of the U.S. Open Championship, all general spectators traveling by car should follow signs to one of two local, complimentary general spectator parking lots. The RED lot will be located at the Washington State Fairgrounds in Puyallup, and the BLUE Lot will be located at Fort Steilacoom Park in Lakewood. Shuttles will run continuously beginning at 5:30 a.m. each day, and continue for one hour following the conclusion of play.
- Spectators traveling from points north and east of the city of University Place will be directed to I-5 south, I-405 south and State Route 18 west, following championship trail signage to the RED Lot. The shuttle commute to and from the RED Lot and Chambers Bay is expected to take 30 minutes, based on traffic.
- Spectators departing from points west (Gig Harbor/Key Peninsula) or from points south utilizing I-5 north are advised to proceed to the BLUE Lot, with an anticipated 25-minute commute to and from the course.
- Spectators and local residents wishing to be dropped off near the championship will utilize the Passenger, Taxi or Limousine Drop-Off Zone, located at Sunset Primary School, accessed via Beckonridge Drive. Only 12-passenger and smaller vehicles are permitted to utilize the Drop-Off Zone. From the school, spectators will have a short five to10-minute walk to access Gate 2.
- No spectator or disabled spectator parking will be available in the immediate vicinity of the golf course. All other parking is by permit only. Parking restrictions surrounding the championship grounds and within the city of University Place will be closely monitored and enforced. Information on road closures will be released at a later date.
- Handicap-accessible parking spaces will be available at all championship parking areas for vehicles displaying appropriate HP/DP license plates or placards. Individuals requiring lift-equipped transportation are encouraged to contact the Admissions Office at 1-800-698-0661 to obtain additional information.
- Groups of spectators arriving at the championship by private coach bus or mini bus will be directed by law enforcement personnel to drop off passengers at the RED Lot (Washington State Fairgrounds), where U.S. Open shuttles will be available for transportation to and from the championship.