Recipe for Fresh Gazpacho with Heirloom Tomatoes from Pike Place Farmers Market
Here’s a recipe from a recent Pike Place Market community lunch in the Atrium Kitchen. Learn farm-fresh recipes and more from FREE "From Farmers to Friends and Families" cooking classes on Thursdays at 11 am and 12 pm.
Gazpacho with Heirloom Tomatoes
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- ½ large cucumber – peeled, halved, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks (or any color bell pepper)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 T sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: Chopped herbs (cilantro, basil, chives, parsley, oregano), hot sauce, additional chopped tomatoes, cucumber and bell pepper for garnish.
In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, garlic, oil and vinegar. Process until coarsely pureed. Add water if the mixture is too thick. Season with salt and pepper and herbs to taste.
For best results, refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Optional: Top with additional diced tomatoes, cucumbers and bell pepper and a dash of hot sauce.