Recipe: Nordstrom’s Tomato and Basil Soup and Parmesan-Garlic Crostini
What is the best way to welcome autumn and stay warm this season? With a hot mug of tomato and basil soup of course! Nordstrom's signature soup is sure to satisfy with its hearty and delicious flavor. The parmesan and garlic crostini provides a much needed crunch to the dish. Serve it up in mugs for a casual football party or in elegant bowls for a nice family dinner. Let us know how your dish turns out.
Nordstrom’s Tomato and Basil Soup
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon dried basil
3 cans (28 ounces each) whole Italian-style tomatoes in purée
1 can (14.5 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons lightly packed fresh basil leaves, cut into fine ribbons
1. In a 6- to 8-quart saucepan, over medium heat, warm the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
2. Add the carrots, onions and dried basil, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, including the purée, and the broth and bring just to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes to blend the flavors.
5. Remove from the heat. Purée the soup in the saucepan using a wand-type emulsion blender; or working in batches, purée the soup in a blender or in a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
6. Return the puréed soup to the saucepan, add the cream and place over medium heat. Warm until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nordstrom’s Parmesan-Garlic Crostini
(Makes about 2 dozen)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (4 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/4 teaspoons granulated garlic (not garlic powder)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 baguette, cut on a sharp diagonal into 3/8-inch-thick slices, each about 5 1/2 inches long
1. Position a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Mash the butter, cheese, salt and granulated garlic together in a medium bowl with a rubber spatula until combined. Stir in the parsley.
3. Using a flexible metal spatula, spread each slice of bread with a generous 2 teaspoons of the butter mixture in an even layer without any “bald spots.” Do not skimp. Arrange the crostini, spaced closely but not touching, on a baking sheet. (The unbaked crostini can be prepared up to 3 hours ahead, covered with parchment paper, and stored at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.)
4. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve warm.
Read stories and reviews about Seattle attractions including entertainment activites, museums, zoos, and other things to do in Seattle.
Get itineraries and ideas for Seattle day trips and tours of the Puget Sound before you take your next Washington State vacation.
Get information regarding the best restaurants near Seattle airport and Southcenter Mall.
Find things to do with children in Seattle near SeaTac airport and Southcenter Mall.
Get news and information regarding happenings around Seattle and the Puget Sound.
Recipe of the Month
Every month we will feature a recipe from a local Seattle Southside restaurant.
Tips & Tricks
Find travel tips and vacation tricks for your next trip to Seattle and Washington State.
Thank you so much for this recipe! I called Nordstrom to see if they sold these and they do, but they charge 50 cents per crostini! So, again, thank you for saving me lots of money and for a recipe that will be used over and over.
Thank you so much for this recipe.... I made it and to me it tastes exactly like from the Nordstrom's Cafe.... Keeping this recipe for sure!
Here is how mine turned out
Are you sure this is Nordstrom's original recipe? I was told several times by employees that the soup is vegetarian. I was told that it does not have chicken broth.
The original post of this recipe was found on The Weekly Herald.
How many does this serve?
This recipe yields about 4-6 servings.